What it Means to Pray in Jesus’ Name
Jesus gave us a tremendous promise in John 14:13-14,
“Whatever you ask in my name, this will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”
So what does it mean to pray in Jesus’ name? Is it simply a ritualistic way to close each of our prayers out of habit? Or, is it a sweeping promise that we will get everything we ask for if we simply tag onto the end of each prayer “in Jesus’ name?”
To pray in Jesus’ name is first a matter of identity. It signifies that we realize that on our own we are spiritually bankrupt, but in Christ we are a new creation with full access to the Father’s throne. To pray in Jesus’ name means to offer prayer to God the Father through the work, righteousness, and merit of Jesus. In addition, to pray in Jesus’ name also means that we are praying with authority. Jesus has granted to every born-again believer the use and authority of His name when asking the Father of something. When we pray in Jesus’ name it’s as if Jesus Himself were making the request of the Father.
When we pray in Jesus’ name it also signifies that we are seeking God’s will above our own. This connection between our willing submission to God’s will and answered prayer is explained in 1 John 5:14-15, “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”
So, praying in Jesus’ name is not simply a cliché or catch-phrase that we tack onto the end of our prayers for good measure. When we pray in Jesus’ name it signifies our deep dependence on Jesus, our belief in God’s goodness and our understanding of our new identity in Christ.
This month as we begin our Operation Christmas Child collection for an ALL CHURCH PACKING Party coming this fall, let us also remember to pray.
Use the following requests as guidelines for each week in March.
WEEK OF March 1-7: Tanzania
- Pray for Graham family-thank God for lives changed through obedience of Billy Graham to honor God
- Pray to God for an awesome response from BCN as we kickoff our Packing Party collection.
- Praise God for speedy receipt of Tanzania Drug and Food Authority permit to distribute OCC shoeboxes-huge deal/answer to prayer.
- Pray for current clearing agent to be faithful in carrying out his duties with integrity and speed.
- Pray for safety & success as National Leadership Team & Regional Managers travel to train Ministry Partners to use shoebox gifts for effective outreach
WEEK OF March 8-14: Togo
- God anoint & flow through volunteers in Togo who sacrifice much to serve. Provide/protect/grant favor to them & family members.
- Pray for Ministry Partners in Togo to understand/embrace OCC principles and handle resources to God’s glory.
- For peace & tranquility in Togo so distribution of shoeboxes will go forward & gospel shared clearly.
WEEK OF March 15-21: Uganda
- Thank God for National Leadership Team-wisdom, protection, favor- efficient distribution of shoeboxes.
- Pray for our awesome God to awaken spiritually family members who do not yet know Him.
- Praise God for new consignee/clearing agents in Uganda this season who are both doing a tremendous job.
- Jesus please provide tax relief for shoeboxes in Uganda and steadfast strength for Ugandan Leadership Team
- Holy Spirit direct prep for hosting 50 Vision Trip Volunteers in May. Holy Spirit go forth and build excitement & celebration!
WEEK OF March 22-28: Zambia
- Pray for new individuals/groups/churches/organizations to catch the vision for packing shoeboxes to share the gospel.
- Pray for Prayer Team members in each county to raise up humble/specific persevering prayer for OCC.
- Pray that the team working on The Greatest Journey Discipleship app will complete it soon to launch this year & that 1,000s be discipled.
- Praise God for the National Leadership Team this year! Continue to pray for unity as a team, wisdom & encouragement of each other
- Pray for spiritual/physical protection of leadership/volunteers/hosts during outreach events in Zambia.
- Holy Spirit come to Zambia! Prepare hearts & make gospel clear/powerful-may thousands believe & be discipled